Statesville is a great place to experience spring. As the new season unfolds, there are some often neglected plumbing maintenance needs on which you should work in Iredell County.
Tips for Spring Plumbing Maintenance
Your plumbing works hard during the winter. When it was cold, and you were often at home, you may have noticed some maintenance needs. An examination of your system can reveal what you may need to fix or contact a professional who can thoroughly address your needs.
- Check for leaks and drips. Over time, these can result in increased water and utility bills. If you need help fixing them, give Action Service a call.
- Put strainers in your sinks and shower to catch debris, hair, soap, scraps, etc., from clogging your drains.
- Flush your toilet and see if you have to hold the handle down to get it to flush or jiggle it to stop the tank from running.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to your toilet tank. Why? Science experiment? Fun? No, it has a practical use! If you see the color in the bowl in 30 minutes or so, you know that your tank is leaking. Again, this is a relatively inexpensive fix that a plumber can do quickly.
- Clean your showerhead. There are a few easy ways to do this. You can take it off and soak it in vinegar, or if that is not possible, fill a baggie with vinegar and place it over the showerhead. Secure it with a rubber band or a hairband if you have one handy. Soak it overnight and use a toothbrush to gently remove mineral deposits.
- Check your water heater for property temperature. If it is higher than 120-degrees, you need to turn it down.
- If your water heater tank has accumulated sediments, it needs to be flushed.
- Flush drains that are not frequently used. These drains can cause odors in the house. To prevent this, pour a gallon of water down drains you do not use frequently.
- Snake any floor drains to keep them clear.
- Check pipes in your basement for signs of leaks and wear.
- If you have a sump pump, pour a few gallons of water into the pit. This should cause the pump to come on immediately. It will discharge the water and then turn off. If it doesn’t, give us a call.
For plumbing maintenance help, turn to the experts at Action Services Company. Give us a call or visit our website for more information about how we can help with spring plumbing maintenance.